Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Energy Project Introduction

The Question: What would happen if, for one week, I walked to work each day rather than drove?

Googling: Although many people have posed this question, or, rather, the question of reducing dependence on gasoline via foot, bicycle or public transportation, I was unable to locate any information about an inidividual in Homer, Alaska attempting such a feat. However, a more fruitful "googling" activity will be to talk to some of my fellow teachers who do walk to school each day and live within a comprable distance to the venture I will attempt.

Data: The data I will need to collect at this point in time include: miles I drive to and from work each day multiplied by the seven days I usually spend at school, the time it takes me to drive to school over a seven day period compared to the time it takes for me to walk to school for a week, the money I spend on gasoline each week for driving to school compared to the money I will save by not driving.

Methodology: At this point in time, I belive that a simple log book that documents the aforementioned data will suffice. I will also interview at least one fellow co-worker who already walks to work each day in order to gain an understanding of the endeavor I will attempt.

Notes: In addtion to understanding how much gasoline I will save as a result of this experiment, I hope to also address a secondary goal, which is to increase my overall physical activity. As a teacher, my life, in many ways, becomes quite sedentary, which is a real detriment to me as an individual. I want to see if walking to work will increase my overall level of physical energy, which would, theoretically, enhance my energy in the classroom.

Onward I go without auto!

No comments: